The potential for conflict exists in the context of community and regional development as in all situations when there may be:
- competing interests or goals;
- different ideas about methods of reaching goals; or
- incomplete understanding or hidden personal feelings.
In order to manage and resolve conflict all parties need to:
- Recognize and acknowledge that it exists.
- Facilitate open, accurate communication and active listening.
- Maintain an objective, not emotional, stance; stay on the issues, not people.
- Find the common interests and goals so everybody wins something.
- Make the necessary adjustments, reinforce, confirm, make the agreement work.
- Remember that conflicting ideas lead to stronger, more effective groups.
In the Subscribers Only Section you will find:
- Guidelines and Tools for conflict resolution